Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sleeping Beauty Castle Papercraft Model

©The Backyard Imagineer

I began working on this project in late August of 2012. I downloaded the actual paper model from The Disney Experience, then I added a few extras to make it more authentic to the actual castle in Disneyland. The most impressive feature is the LED lights I added on the interior and exterior of the castle numbering 40 total. The torch lights flicker like real flames as well! All the windows have interior lighting as well as the towers with exterior lighting. I added torches flanking the drawbridge as well as a lantern halfway down the tunnel and on the courtyard side.

I created a 2 foot by 2 foot base to house the model in complete with landscaping, and a realistic moat which I created using Envirotex, which is an epoxy resin that dries hard. There are several interactive components I am working in to the piece. First is the castle key- when you push it all the lights come on. Another is if you find the hidden mickey and push it you’ll hear Jiminy Cricket singing When You Wish Upon A Star and the moat will glow. I plan on making a grove of pine trees on the back corners with one that if you push down Tinkerbell will rise out of the castle and glow (still working out the bugs on that one).

Finally, the frame of the box will have 4 pillars at the corner carved in the likeness of squirrels from Disney’s animated Sleeping Beauty. If you’ve ever been through the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-through you’ll be familiar with the books that are displayed and lit through the tour that tell the story, I plan on doing something similar on the front of the model with a miniature book with “Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disneyland, USA est. 1955” in the book.

I still have a lot to do, but it’s a labor of love. I want to finish it though because I have several other projects I want to get cooking on!

Stay tuned for updates on the project here on the Backyard Imagineer!

©The Backyard Imagineer
©The Backyard Imagineer
©The Backyard Imagineer


©The Backyard Imagineer


©The Backyard Imagineer


©The Backyard Imagineer
  


©The Backyard Imagineer

No comments:

Post a Comment